Dayton VA Medical Center - Campus Master Plan

CBLH Design was hired to work with the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Dayton for the development of a campus-wide Master Plan.  Originally named the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (NHDVS), it was one of three National “Asylums” authorized by Abraham Lincoln in 1865 to give Civil War Veterans a home, healthcare and an opportunity to learn a trade. 

 

Nearly 150 years later, this campus, now known as “Dayton Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center” maintains its historical significance on the east side of campus.   It has an inpatient hospital on the west side of campus and the Dayton National Cemetery along the North side.

 

The goal of the Master Plan is to bring state-of-the-art healthcare to the Veterans while enhancing the historical campus to maintain and improve its significance.  The project includes the review of 56 buildings for re-use/ adaptation and bringing strategies for developing new space for future growth.